Pedro L. Alonso
Director and Research Professor
Areas and programs:
Public Health, Host-pathogen interaction, Malaria, Viral and bacterial infections, HIV/AIDS and STI’s
Graduated in Medicine from the University Autonoma of Madrid. Specialist in Preventive Medicine. I also hold a PhD from the University of Barcelona and a Masters Degree from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I am currently Head of Tropical Medicine and International Health of the Hospital Clinic and Professor at the University of Barcelona. My work has focused on key priority health problems in resource poor settings, particularly in Africa. Development of research partnerships and institutions contributing to capacity strengthening has been at the heart of my activities.
Lines of research:
- Description of the main health problems of vulnerable populations in rural Africa.
- Epidemiology of infectious diseases, including acute respiratory infections, diarrhoea, TB and HIV.
- The main focus has been the clinical development of new tools for the prevention or treatment of malaria, including vector control, drugs and vaccines. Currently interested also in the science of malaria elimination.
- Alonso PL, Lindsay SW, Armstrong JR, Conteh M, Hill AG, David PH, Fegan G, de Francisco A, Hall AJ, Shenton FC. The effect of insecticide-treated bed nets on mortality of Gambian children. Lancet 1991;337(8756):1499-502
- Alonso PL, Sacarlal J, Aponte JJ, Leach A, Macete E, Milman J, Mandomando I, Spiessens B, Guinovart C, Espasa M, Bassat Q, Aide P, Ofori-Anyinam O, Navia MM, Corachan S, Ceuppens M, Dubois MC, Demoitie MA, Dubovsky F, Menendez C, Tornieporth N, Ballou WR, Thompson R, & Cohen J. Efficacy of the RTS,S/AS02A vaccine against Plasmodium falciparum infection and disease in young African children: randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2004;364:1411-20
- Aponte JJ, Aide P, Renom M, Mandomando I, Bassat Q, Sacarlal J, Manaca MN, Lafuente S, Barbosa A, Leach A, Lievens M, Vekemans J, Sigauque B, Dubois MC, Demoitie MA, Sillman M, Savarese B, McNeil JG, Macete E, Ballou WR, Cohen J, Alonso PL. Safety of the RTS,S/AS02D candidate malaria vaccine in infants living in a highly endemic area of Mozambique: a double blind randomised controlled phase I/IIb trial. Lancet 2007; 370: 1543–1551.
- Sacarlal J, Aide P, Aponte JJ, Renom M, Leach A, Mandomando I, Lievens M, Bassat Q, Lafuente S, Macete E, Vekemans J, Guinovart C, Sigauque B, Sillman M, Milman J, Dubois MC, Demoitie MA, Thonnard J, Menendez C, Ballou WR, Cohen J, Alonso PL. Long-Term Safety and Efficacy of the RTS,S/AS02A Malaria Vaccine in Mozambican Children. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 2009; 200 (3): 329–336.
- Alonso PL, Brown G, Arevalo-Herrera M, Binka F, Chitnis C, Collins F, Doumbo OK, Greenwood B, Hall BF, Levine MM, Mendis K, Newman RD, Plowe CV, Rodriguez MH, Sinden R, Slutsker L, Tanner M. A research agenda to underpin malaria eradication. PLoS Med 2011; 8(1):e1000406